Document Verification & Right to Work Checks
Approx. 6.5 hours, half day also available
Organisations which fail to effectively check a non-UK employee’s documentation face a £20,000 fine.
The end of the transition period for the UK to leave the EU will significantly impact UK employers. Once Freedom of Movement ends, employers of non-UK nationals will need to ensure they understand and implement the new rules, which will affect EU nationals, skilled workers, intra-company transfers and students.
It's more vital than ever to keep track of changes and implement the new rules in a timely fashion as well as assess, identify and plan for potential people risks.
Added to which, a possible 2021 resurgence of Covid may present risks which will further complicate immigration issues for employers.
Your organisation is responsible for checking identity documents for all your non-UK employees. That’s quite a challenge, given the sheer volume and complexity of authenticating often unfamiliar documents.
Our recent survey indicated that, despite the current Covid-19 crisis, 84% of you still need to check and authenticate RTW documents; most companies are continuing to invest in professional development.
For the last five years, BFI has been running this practical and interactive workshop throughout the UK. Hear from a top immigration and document verification specialist and ensure that your policies and procedures protect your organisation.
- Prevent illegal working: legal clarification of your responsibilities
- Avoiding costly discrimination litigation
- Is your policy legally compliant?
- How to verify a non-UK candidate’s immigration status
- Compare examples of real and fake documents
- Checking and verifying identity documentation from outside the UK including:
- Photo ID & Driving Licenses
- Birth Certificates
- Supporting Documents
We will tailor the course to suit your organisation's needs. This is a preliminary outline to give you a taste of what we typically offer when delivering this course in-house. After an in-depth discussion between your organisation and the trainer, we will develop a course outline which meets the specific needs of your team.
This course can be delivered face to face or virtually.
Which functions will benefit from attending
- HR and recruitment professionals, Administration, Training, Security, Risk, Compliance, Legal, Policy, Vetting and Screening, Operations and all Line Managers and Directors and staff with responsibility for right to work checks and / or document verification
Introduction to the day and identification and clarification of objectives
Essential legal issues to consider from an immigration perspective
- What is identity, why it is important to check, consequences of getting it wrong
- What documents do you need to see and retain
- Summary of different work routes for non EEA nationals
- EEA workers and Brexit implications
- skilled workers route: changes and updates
- Switching between visas: the new rules explained
- PBS: updates on language requirements and qualification updates
- Changes to skill and salary thresholds
- Tricky areas - student workers; change of visa status
- Health and care visas: what are the new parameters?
- Avoiding discrimination
- Data storage to ensure GDPR compliance
- A checking strategy
- Understanding the statutory excuse and ensuring you have it
- Practical right to work including - who can work in the UK
- An overview of visa categories
- Non-sponsored routes
- Acceptable documents in more detail with tips
- Documents which do not prove the right to work and why
- Covid-19: implications of a second or third wave in 2021
- employees caught in countries where they are not normally resident: how to mitigate this in advance
- non-resident remote working implications: tax, employment and visas
- Live Q&A
Checking identity document
- Attributed identity versus biographical identity
- Biometric identity – what should you know?
- Do you know what to look for?
- Common scams to be aware of
- What to do when you spot an irregularity
- Photo ID and driving licenses
- Birth certificates
- Supporting documents
Contact us to book or discuss our events & services
Great informative course, provided good insight into the authenticity of ID documentation
Informative, well presented and gives you food for thought, thank you
Much more engaging and interesting than I expected, I learnt a lot
Very useful and very interesting, enlightening
Amazing, high quality teaching, I feel very confident about making checks going forward